Friday, March 06, 2009

Stress Reduction


We cannot exercise outside in Hajipur. Locals would gape at us and laugh. The streets are crowded with traffic and sewage. Without exercise, I am at high risk for takeover by my dark side.

Anne and Othman hired a local yoga instructor to come to our house. He gives them lessons three times per week at 6:30 am. The only words of English he knows are “relax” and “leg.” The rest of the lesson is in Hindi. I tried some sessions, but I find that the stress from the language barrier outweighs the benefit of yoga. I’ve been jumping rope instead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I can totally picture you on the yoga mat all flustered and stressed out, trying to follow instructions in Hindi to get in the right poses.

-Yu

Jenny Davidson said...

It is tough! I hear you on the stressful yoga issues - it is a tricky balance. (Find someone else from your group who will just do half an hour of mild stuff a couple times a week?) Jumping rope is very good - so are pushups!

Alex said...

Many people won't speak about the presence of stress in their life. Meditation is a really good practice to manage stress. I found a very useful resource and I would like to share it. It makes me practice some habits and helped a lot in controlling stress in my own way.

Reita Faria said...

Think about the ways you currently manage and cope with stress reduction in your life. Your stress reduction journal can help you identify them. Are your coping strategies healthy or unhealthy, helpful or unproductive? Unfortunately, many people cope with stress reduction in ways that compound the problem.