Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Found on Living Room Floor, the saga continues



I am back in rural Western Kenya. What better way to celebrate than another exciting episode of Found on Living Room Floor? Last night I got up in the dark for a glass of water. I walked to the fridge barefoot, and haplessly cruched hundreds of dudus (Swahili for bugs) that mysteriously appeared between bedtime and midnight. Lucy says the dudus are flying termites. The Kenyas here like to eat them. They sell for 20 Kenyan Shillings per small cup at the market. At right, friend and lab wizard Juma eats a spoonful of dudus.

8 comments:

L said...

In bare feet?

L said...

That gives me a little bit of the heebie-jeebies.

nomad said...

More hebebie-jeebies eating them than walking on them...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... protein.

-yms

Anonymous said...

now for our own edification, would you mind clarifying if the swahili version of "dudu" is pronounced in English like doodoo, or like duhduh. the kids and I think the story is even so much more funnier if you use the former pronounciation

nomad said...

it's doo-doo. like scooby doo-doo.

Anonymous said...

Nelly nelly nelly. Those look suspiciously like plastic finger nail extenders. Are you sure your cosmetics case didn't break open and spill its contents out?

nomad said...

you got me. My fingernails haven't been the same since I spilled these on the living room floor. now I am left with ugly bitten stumps, and I cant even manicure them properly. The sacrifices one makes to be an International Aid Worker...