Saturday, July 28, 2007

World Music

I like the music in Kenya. The most popular kind of music in Busia is Zaire's Lingala. Lingala is energising dance music--lively vocals mixed with electric guitar, drums, and a a lot of percussion. Benga, the traditional Luo music from Western Kenya, also is also commonly heard around here. It's mostly drums and repetitive male vocals, with long pulsating electric guitar riffs. It's generally not as good as Lingala, in my opinion, but sometimes suits my mood when I feel like slipping into a trace.

Although I miss all the fun I had in Guatemala, I certainly do not miss all the high volume salsa, merenge, and reggaeton. I still listen to Buena Vista Social Club every once in a while and some of the Cuban music I copied from Conrado's collection. (OK, so maybe once in a while I dance around to Shakira's Hips Don't Lie, for old time's sake). Also Mano Chao, of course, who is in the top ten playlist on my ipod. Jenny Davidson linked to a good profile of Manu Chao on her blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really enjoy manu chao, thanks for the tip